an enhancer/customiser for the all-in-one productivity workspace notion.so
currently, both windows and linux are supported. it is possible to run this script via the WSL to modify the windows notion app.
want macOS to be supported too? let me know, and I can work with you to get it going.
- install node.js: windows, linux/WSL.
- install python: windows, linux/WSL.
- in the appropriate terminal/command line, run
npm install -g asar(check installation by running
- download this enhancer & extract to a location it can safely remain (if running the script from the WSL, make sure this is from a location within the windows filesystem).
- ensure no notion processes are running - you may want to check the task manager to make sure.
- optional: to remove previous applications of the notion enhancer, run
- optional: modify the
resources/user.cssfile to your liking (see styling).
customiser.pyto build changes. (for linux run with sudo)
done: run notion and enjoy.
now the notion app won't open :(
- kill any notion tasks in the task manager (
- follow instructions above (ensuring notion isn't running! again, check task manager).
i tried opening the python file but it just closed instantly and nothing happened?
python scripts must be run from the terminal or command prompt via e.g.
now that I've run the script, can I delete the enhancer folder?
no! user style files
resources/theme.css are fetched from here each time you open notion.
additionally, if you ever need to change or reset your notion build, the
cleaner.py files will be useful.
unless you're sure you know what you're doing (if you have to ask, you probably don't) then do not delete anything.
something isn't working, and the suggestions here haven't fixed it...
this is probably a bug. please submit a bug report.
can the enhancer do ___?
experienced problems with the notion app, or just want to add something a bit more to it? please submit a feature request.
default windows titlebar/frame has been replaced by one more fitting to the theme of the app.
this includes the addition of an extra button, "always on top" symbolised with an arrow (4th from the right). when toggled to point up, notion will remain the top visible window even if not focused.
to customise which characters are used for these buttons, open in the
find the relevant button icon (lines 69 - 82) and replace it with your chosen unicode character (e.g.
return '⨉'; with
i mean, yeah. get rid of those ugly default scrollbars and use nice inconspicuous ones that actually look as if they're part of notion.
to add these to the web version, copy lines 74 - 105 from
user.css into your css customiser.
image: before enhancement
image: after default enhancement
- reload window: in addition to the built-in
CmdOrCtrl+Rreload, you can now reload a window with
- toggle all notion windows to/from the tray:
to set your own toggle hotkey, open
customiser.py and change line 19 (
hotkey = 'CmdOrCtrl+Shift+A')
to your preference. you will need to run or re-run
single-click to toggle app visibility. right click to open menu.
- run on startup: run notion on boot/startup. (default: true)
- hide on open: hide the launch of notion to the tray. (default: false)
- open maximised: maximize the app on open. (default: false)
- close to tray: close window to tray rather than closing outright
on click of
⨉. does not apply if multiple notion windows are open. (default: false)
- load theme.css: loads the custom colour theme file. see colour theming for more information. (default: false)
image: open application tray
custom appearances can be applied to the app via the
resources/theme.css files. for more information,
and a list of various optional styling changes, see the page on styling.
credit where credit is due, this was originally made by Uzver (github: @TarasokUA, telegram: UserFromUkraine, discord: Uzver#8760). he has approved my go-ahead with this fork, as he himself no longer wishes to continue development on the project.
the notion logo belongs entirely to the notion team, and was sourced from their media kit.
if you have any questions, check my website for contact details.